Cedar Creek

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Waller County

Cedar Creek is near the intersection of State Highway 6 and Farm Road 2979, seven miles north of Hempstead in northern Waller County. Presumably named for the creek nearby, Cedar Creek existed by the middle of the 1880s when Henry Kloecker, a German immigrant, opened a cotton gin for local farmers. The gin remained in the Kloecker family until about 1902 or 1903, when a resident of Navasota in neighboring Grimes County purchased it. A school for local children had opened by 1892; in 1906 thirty-seven children attended classes, but the school had apparently closed by the 1930s. A cemetery which may have begun during the Civil War era lies at the northern edge of the community. A small number of citizens resided at Cedar Creek in 1990, and St. Luke Church was in the vicinity.

Continue Reading

Paul M. Lucko | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cedar Creek is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Cedar Creek is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.19465830
Longitude: -96.06023540

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No