Cedar Hill is on Farm Road 97 fifteen miles east of Lockney and six miles west of the eastern edge of the Caprock escarpment in northwest Floyd County. Wheat farming is predominant in the area. The community may have been named for the cedars that grew locally or for a town in East Texas. Area settlement began during the late 1880s. A school was built in 1898 and designated a county school district by 1900. The nearby school named Union Bower doubled as a religious meeting hall. A Baptist church was built in 1900. In 1916 John Dillard had a store and post office at Alcino, two miles northwest of Cedar Hill. Dave Dillard built a store at Cedar Hill in the 1920s. During the 1930s and 1940s the town had a brick school, two churches, parsonages, a store, and an icehouse. Later a cafe and beauty shop were established. A grain elevator was built in the early 1960s. The school at Cedar Hill continued in operation until it was consolidated with the Floydada schools in 1950. Businesses in the 1980s included a co-op grain elevator, which processed twenty-five million pounds of wheat in 1985, and an upholstery shop. Assembly of God and Baptist churches are active in the settlement. The population of the community in the 1980s was about ten. By 2000 the population had grown to thirty-six.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Cedar Hill is part of or belongs to the following places:
Cedar Hill is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2009