Central

Central, a farming community several miles northeast of Grand Saline in northeastern Van Zandt County, was the site of a local school built in 1901 on land donated by Zack Waddill. The enrollment at the Central school reached forty-four in 1905. A three-room school was built at the community in 1916. Several area churches met in the school before relocating at Crossroads. In 1936 the county highway map showed a school and two churches at the townsite. The local school was consolidated with the Grand Saline Independent School District in 1947. By 1987 only a single church and cemetery remained at the site.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Central is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Central is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.71235040
Longitude: -95.73579640

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No