Chambersville

Chambersville is on a hill overlooking the rich farmland of the Blackland Prairies, near Farm Road 543 seven miles north of McKinney in northwestern Collin County. The town was named in honor of Elisha Chambers, a native of North Carolina who arrived in the county in 1847. Three years later he received a Peters colony land certificate for 320 acres near the East Fork of the Trinity River. In 1853 he provided land for the town's school, church, and cemetery. A post office was established there in 1894, with Jacob Bryan as postmaster. In 1903 the post office was discontinued, and local mail was routed through McKinney. Chambersville reported a population of forty from the 1950s through 2000.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Chambersville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Chambersville is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.30622490
Longitude: -96.63582490

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No