Champion

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Nolan County

Champion, on Champion Creek and Farm roads 1230 and 2319, eight miles southwest of Roscoe in west central Nolan County, began in 1905. Alton Griffin ran the first store at the site, and later a gin and three churches opened there. A local post office operated from 1907 to 1909. Champion's population was fifty in 1940, when the town had a church, a store, and a blacksmith shop. The community also had a school for a time. By 1975 little remained at the site. Champion reported a population of sixteen in 1980 and 1990. The population was eight in 2000.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Champion is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Champion is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.35873260
Longitude: -100.62038540

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

10