Chocolate Bayou is on Farm Road 2917 between State Highway 35 and Farm Road 2403 in eastern Brazoria County. It is close to the bayou from which it takes its name on land originally in the Stephen F. Austin and James Franklin Perry land grant. Emily Perry, who operated the Peach Point plantation on land near the site of present Chocolate Bayou, was Stephen F. Austin's sister. Although little remains of the ruins of the plantation, in its day it was a producer of cotton and sugar. In 1911 Chocolate Bayou received a post office. In 1914 it was on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway and had twenty-five residents, a general store, and two hay shippers. By 1925 Chocolate Bayou had a population of 150. Oil was discovered in 1946. In 1950 the population was fifty, and the post office had been discontinued. The community had lost its business by 1966, and in 1990 had sixty residents. The population remained the same in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Chocolate Bayou is part of or belongs to the following places:
Chocolate Bayou is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2014