Cipres

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Hidalgo County

Cipres is a mile west of Farm Road 1017 on the Rico gas and oilfield in northwestern Hidalgo County. The area was in Rancho Tale Perez until after 1890. In the early 1900s the land was subdivided for farming, and in 1909 J. H. Hinojosa planted cypress trees around a commissary and supply store. A post office, named for the trees, operated from 1913 until 1955 in a room in the ranch house. From 1925 through 1948 the community had one business and a population of twenty-five. In August 1990 a metal storage building, a small trailer, corrals, and a windmill remained at the site. Sidewalks and five salt cedars mark the former location of the house. Twenty people lived in the vicinity in 1990 and in 2000.

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cipres is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Cipres is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Sanramon 1)
  • (Santarita)

Location

Latitude: 26.68894620
Longitude: -98.32001160

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

20