Citrus Grove

Citrus Grove is at the junction of two rural roads four miles northeast of Collegeport in southwestern Matagorda County. It was named for citrus orchards that were planted in the early 1900s. By 1910 the community was a stop on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. That year the post office opened, and the population was twenty-five. In 1914 Citrus Grove had a gin, an express agent, a grocery and lumber business, a dry goods store, and a telephone connection. In 1925 the population had risen to fifty, but no businesses were registered. In 1936 Citrus Grove had eight scattered dwellings. In 1948, the last year that the settlement reported statistics, one business and fifty inhabitants were listed. As recently as 1989 the community still appeared on county maps, and in 1990 it was still listed as a community. The population was fifteen in 2000.

Continue Reading

Stephen L. Hardin | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Citrus Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Citrus Grove is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Satsuma)

Location

Latitude: 28.74748790
Longitude: -96.10579760

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

30