Clay Hill

Clay Hill, also known as Hick's Spring, is two miles north of U.S. Highway 84 and five miles northeast of Teague in west central Freestone County. It had a school and a gin owned by Johnny George. The school had an enrollment of nineteen in 1903, and church services were held in the school house. In the 1930s Clay Hill had the school and a few scattered dwellings. By 1989 only a church remained.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Clay Hill is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Clay Hill is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hick's Spring)

Location

Latitude: 31.69627970
Longitude: -96.23247230

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No