Coldwater

Coldwater was on a dirt road two miles south of Farm Road 852 and four miles southeast of Winnsboro in northeast Wood County. The settlement was inhabited by 1880. In 1884 a Cold Springs school district was established in the area, and in 1896 the one-teacher, one-room Cold Springs school enrolled thirty-one students. By 1905 the school, then known as Coldwater, had sixty-one students. By the 1930s the community had a number of farms scattered along country roads, a cemetery, and a school, known again as Cold Springs. In 1932 the school had fifty-five students in eight grades. By 1960 a few widely scattered dwellings and the Coldwater church and cemetery remained at the site. They were still there in 1988.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Coldwater is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Coldwater is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.89651480
Longitude: -95.24522150

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No