Content

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Colorado County

Content is four miles south of Weimar near the junction of Farm roads 155 and 2144 in the northwestern corner of Colorado County. The site was probably settled during the Civil War, and in 1865 a post office named Content was opened there. A school, organized in the community by the 1870s, served thirty-two students in 1879. The Content post office closed in 1880, and residents received their mail from nearby Weimar. In 1904 the one-teacher Content school served fifty-six pupils. In 1940 the community comprised the school and scattered dwellings. At various times Content also had stores and a cotton gin. By the 1950s the Content school had consolidated with that of Weimar. A German community named New Bielau was contiguous with Content; the two settlements shared churches and a school board. In the 1980s both communities were served by the New Bielau community center and the Trinity Evangelical Church.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Content is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Content is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (New Bielau)

Location

Latitude: 29.63829110
Longitude: -96.77247730

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No