Corbet

Corbet is on Farm Road 2452 six miles southwest of Corsicana between Briar and Cedar creeks in Navarro County. It is bisected by the St. Louis Southwestern Railway. The area was first settled by a Colonel Cook in 1866 as a community named Cook's Schoolhouse. After the railroad arrived, the station was first named Waters and later renamed Corbet. The post office operated from 1893 through 1929. Corbet had one school in 1906, when it had an enrollment of fifty-seven students and one teacher. By 1914 Corbet had a population of 300. In 1945 it had two stores and a population of 100. In 1970 the population had decreased to eighty, where it remained through 2000.

Continue Reading

David Allen | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Corbet is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Corbet is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Bray)
  • (Cook's Schoolhouse)
  • (Waters)

Location

Latitude: 32.00654430
Longitude: -96.53693020

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

80