Corinth

Corinth is just off Farm Road 315 sixteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County. It was settled around the time of the Civil War and developed around a church called Corinth. A school was in operation there by the mid-1890s; in 1897 it had an enrollment of forty-one black students. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. Its school was later closed, and its students were transferred to the Carthage or Gary schools. By the mid-1960s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered dwellings remained in the area. In 1990 Corinth was still a dispersed rural community.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Corinth is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Corinth is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.04794250
Longitude: -94.59381810

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No