Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Live Oak County

Cornelia was eighteen miles southeast of George West in Live Oak County. It was founded in 1913, when the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad built tracks into the area, and was named for Cornelia (Cox) Staples, the wife of Henry Staples, who owned the townsite land. The community was granted a post office in 1915, and around that time a store opened there. Staples donated two acres for a cemetery that was used by the local Mexican-American population. Cornelia lost its post office in 1918, and by the next year its store had closed. A 1936 county highway map shows only a railroad depot at the site. After the Nueces River was dammed in 1958 to form Lake Corpus Christi, the railroad tracks were moved, the graves from Cornelia's cemetery were removed, and the site was inundated by the new lake.

Continue Reading

John Leffler | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cornelia is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Cornelia is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Neelie)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated