Cornett

Cornett is on Farm Road 2888 ten miles northeast of Hughes Springs in northwestern Cass County. It was settled before the Civil War and was first named Hamil's Chapel and then Troup, for Troup County, Georgia, the original home of many of its early settlers. The name was changed to Cornett in honor of the G. T. Cornett family, who owned land in the area. A post office was established at the community in 1901 and operated until 1906. In 1933 Cornett had two rated businesses and a population of fifty-three. By 1964 it reported forty residents and no rated businesses. In 1986 Cornett had an estimated population of thirty, a church, and a community center. In 1990 and 2000 its population was still listed as thirty.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cornett is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Cornett is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Hamil's Chapel)
  • (Perkins)
  • (Troupe)

Location

Latitude: 33.12956990
Longitude: -94.57464610

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

30