Couch, on the north bank of Hondo Creek off State Highway 239 seven miles southeast of Kenedy in southeastern Karnes County, was named for D. F. Couch, who was instrumental in bringing settlers from Oklahoma Territory in the early 1890s. The general vicinity of Couch, a rich farming area, was popularly known as the Oklahoma settlement for many years. In the early 1890s Andrew J. Harryman bought sixty acres of land from J. M. and T. Y. Pettus. Eighteen acres of this tract were surveyed and platted as the townsite of Couch. The town had a general store, a post office, a hotel, a Methodist church, and a public school. The post office was established in 1896 and closed in 1909. After the main road from Kenedy to Goliad was moved two miles south of Couch, its post office was moved in 1909 to Runge, and the community declined. State highway maps for the 1960s name the community but show no buildings at the site. The population in 2000 was ten.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Couch is part of or belongs to the following places:
Couch is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Couch by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."