Cowl Spur

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Montgomery County

Cowl Spur was on Farm Road 2854 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, six miles west of Conroe in west central Montgomery County. The town was named after a spur and siding on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe. During the early 1930s the Day Lumber and Timber Company had a timber mill there. In 1938 Day Lumber sold out to Daniel's Lumber Company and Retail Lumber and Building Materials. They changed the name to the People's Lumber and Building Materials Company soon after. In the 1940s the town had thirty dwellings and three businesses, including a sawmill and a railroad station. From 1940 to 1965 the population of Cowl Spur was reported at fifty. By 1965 the area had become part of the Conroe Independent School District.

Continue Reading

Rebecca L. Borjas | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cowl Spur is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Cowl Spur is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.31993130
Longitude: -95.57911000

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No