Cozart

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Cozart, a farming and post office community fourteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was probably established in the 1890s. A post office had opened there by 1901. At its height around the turn of the century, the community had a store, a mill, and a number of houses. When the Timpson and Henderson Railway bypassed Cozart in 1903, the local post office was closed, and within a short time the community was abandoned. Most of its residents moved to nearby Ragley, a stop on the railroad.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cozart is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Cozart is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Ragley)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No