Crossville

Crossville, four or five miles east of Copperas Cove on the Coryell-Bell county line, was named for early Bell County settler James M. Cross. Families began moving into the area before the Civil War. A post office opened there in 1872 with Martin W. Warren as postmaster, but closed in 1881. In 1880 the community had a population of forty. The townsite and area farms and ranches were absorbed by Camp Hood (see FORT CAVAZOS) in the early 1940s, and most Crossville residents relocated in Copperas Cove.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Crossville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Crossville is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No