Cruseville

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Nacogdoches County

Cruseville was just off U.S. Highway 259 six miles north of Nacogdoches in northern Nacogdoches County. The area was probably settled before the Civil War and during its early years was known variously as Cruse's Store and as Cruseville; the latter name was used in 1880 when a post office opened. Its post office closed in 1882, reopened in 1893 under the name Thrash, after store owner Lee H. Thrash, and closed the following year. The community apparently declined after 1900, and by the 1930s it no longer appeared on highway maps. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cruseville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Cruseville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Cruse's Store]
  • (Lera)
  • (Thrash)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No