Cummins' Creek

Ensign was on Cummins Creek and Ensign Road four miles south of Ennis in southeastern Ellis County. About 1895 Albert N. Ellison built a small store in the area, and in 1896 a local post office opened, with Ellison as the postmaster. The store in which it was located changed owners and postmasters several times before the post office was discontinued in 1904. In 1899 a fifty-six member singing school was organized in the community's church. By the early 1900s Ensign had several blacksmith shops, a cotton gin, a Fraternal Union Lodge, and, a half mile north of the business district, the Antioch Baptist Church. In 1933 the community reported one business and an estimated population of twenty. From 1970 to 1990 Ensign's population was estimated at ten, and the community no longer reported a business.

Continue Reading

Lisa C. Maxwell | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cummins' Creek is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Cummins' Creek is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Ensign)

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated