Cundiff

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Jack County

Cundiff is on Farm Road 1810 ten miles northeast of Jacksboro in northeastern Jack County. Settlement of the area began in the mid-1850s. Harrell Cundiff was one of the first settlers. The threat of Indian raids forced many settlers to abandon their homesteads in the 1860s. Following the removal of Indians from Jack County in the mid-1870s, settlers began returning to the Cundiff area. Not until the early 1890s, however, was a permanent community established. In 1891 Walker Moore subdivided a tract of land into small farms and laid out a townsite, which he named Cundiff. The town had a post office from 1891 to 1918. By the early 1900s it also had a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, four stores, and a school. From 1940 to 1988 the town's population remained at approximately fifty residents. In 1990 and again in 2000 it was forty-five.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Cundiff is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Cundiff is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Howard Valley)

Location

Latitude: 33.31677870
Longitude: -97.99837330

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

45