Darco

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Harrison County

Darco is on State Highway 43 some nine miles southwest of Marshall in south central Harrison County. In the mid-1930s the Darco mines employed some forty laborers to mine and ship lignite to the Darco Corporation of Marshall. There the lignite was used in the manufacture of "Darco," which was used in refining processes as a decolorizer and purifier. In 1937–38 the Darco district schools served some 100 White and seventy-six Black pupils. In 1948 the Darco community had the mining operation, one other business, a school, and scattered dwellings. Its population was reported as ninety-five in 1964. In 1990 strip mining was still under way in the area, and Darco's population was eighty-five.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Darco is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Darco is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Cave Springs)

Location

Latitude: 32.40904250
Longitude: -94.43575500

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

10