Davis

Davis, also known as Davistown and as Davis Switch, is a farming community on State Highway 97 eight miles southwest of Charlotte in southwestern Atascosa County. It was named for M. M. Davis, a local rancher who gave land for the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad in 1914. From 1925 to 1929 the community was served by a post office officially named Daviston; Joe Key was the first postmaster. In the 1940s the community had a factory, two other businesses, and a few widely scattered dwellings. By the 1980s only a few dwellings remained at the site. The population was eight in 2000.

Continue Reading

Linda Peterson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Davis is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Davis is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Switch]
  • [-town]

Location

Latitude: 28.79970030
Longitude: -98.75724720

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

8