Denning

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of San Augustine County

Denning is on Farm Road 3409 eight miles west of San Augustine in northwestern San Augustine County. A post office was opened there in 1891, and by 1896 Denning had an estimated fifty inhabitants, a Baptist church, three general stores, two gins, two sawmills, two flour mills, and two blacksmith shops. In 1904 the community had a one-teacher school for forty-seven White pupils and another for twenty-four Black pupils. By 1914 Denning claimed to have 200 inhabitants. The post office was closed in the 1930s, and the population declined to seventy-five by 1939. In 1940 the community had two churches, a school, three businesses, and several dwellings. Residents numbered 361 in 1968. In 1990 and 2000 the population was still 361.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Denning is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Denning is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.51462680
Longitude: -94.24519920

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

100