Denworth

Denworth, near Farm Road 2857 three miles east of the Wheeler county line in eastern Gray County, was laid out in 1919 as a townsite for the Fort Worth and Denver Railway, for which it was named. Although it thrived for a time as an area shipping point during the oil boom days, its isolated location eventually caused the town to fail. A post office was opened in 1932 with Mrs. Ina Marshal as postmistress, and by 1939 the number of residents was estimated at fifty. Despite a reported population increase to 100 in 1945, the post office closed in March 1946. The completion of Interstate Highway 40 has subsequently caused the community to fall almost into oblivion. A pump station was still at the site in 1988.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Denworth is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Denworth is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Back)

Location

Latitude: 35.39393650
Longitude: -100.60791230

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No