Desert

Desert is on State Highway 160 in far northeast Collin County, within two miles of the intersection of the Grayson and Fannin county lines. The town, settled about 1890, has the same name as the creek that runs just outside it. A post office was established in 1893 but was discontinued in 1904. For most of its history Desert has served area farmers as a retail point, providing a general store, a school, a church, and a gristmill. The population of the community, never more than 100, was twenty-five from 1933 through 2000.

Continue Reading

David Minor | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Desert is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Desert is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.38844410
Longitude: -96.40192770

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

35