DeWees

Dewees, at the junction of Farm roads 541 and 1344, eight miles south of Floresville in southwestern Wilson County, was named for Thomas DeWees, who settled in the area about 1870. A post office operated there from 1906 to 1911. In the mid-1930s the community had a store, a mill, and a school. As late as the 1960s a store, a gin, and a cemetery still remained. Subsequently, the majority of businesses closed, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses and Schneider's Store remained. The population was thirty-five in 2000.

Continue Reading

Claudia Hazlewood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

DeWees is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

DeWees is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.02052660
Longitude: -98.17223040

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

60