Donovan was a logging camp and railway station east of Huntington in east central Angelina County. It was established by the Long Bell Lumber Company and was named for a lumberman. The town was active before 1915 and again around 1930. In 1900 the Texas and Louisiana Railroad completed 14½ miles of track to Donovan from Lufkin and in 1902 another 7½ miles from Donovan east to Monterey. In 1904 this railroad became part of the St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas. Donovan acquired a post office in 1927; the postmaster was Oma Wall. Postal service moved to Huntington in the early 1930s.

Continue Reading

Megan Biesele | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Donovan is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Donovan is classified as a Town

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated