Dotson

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

Dotson, on Farm Road 1971 some fourteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, is in a cotton and lumber producing area that was settled before the Civil War. A post office operated at the community from 1915 to 1921. In the mid-1930s Dotson had nine businesses, a school, a church, a number of houses, and an estimated population of twenty. Its reported population increased to fifty in the 1940s. After World War II the town declined, and by the early 1970s only a store and a few houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Dotson was a dispersed rural community with about forty residents. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Dotson is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Dotson is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Brushy)
  • (Dixie)
  • (Freeman)
  • (Thurman)
  • (Walnut Hill)

Location

Latitude: 32.00488850
Longitude: -94.52992730

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

35