Double Knobbs

Double Knobbs is on State Highway 29 some eight miles northwest of Mason in western Mason County. It was named for two nearby hills which lie on either side of the highway. The area was settled around 1890, when the Dodd and the Clark families arrived. The community's early development was focused around the establishment of a local school. Most of the area residents were farmers and ranchers. In the 1900s the local agricultural focus changed from cotton to peanut farming. The community's school was eventually closed. In the mid-1980s Double Knobbs was a dispersed farming community.

Continue Reading

Alice J. Rhoades | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Double Knobbs is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Double Knobbs is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Double Knobs]

Location

Latitude: 30.80045440
Longitude: -99.35228040

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No