Drumright

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Glasscock County

Drumright, near Lees west of U.S. Highway 87 in northeastern Glasscock County, was named for an Oklahoma oil boomtown because its founders expected this town to boom also. In 1925 the nearby Howard-Glasscock oilfield was brought in, and boom excitement seized the people of Drumright. Its population reportedly increased to 500. Two hotels, several businesses, and a school-which also housed a Sunday school and church services-were built in Drumright. However, no real boom came, and the community declined. In 1931 three businesses operated there, and by 1933 Drumright reported a population of fifty, served by two businesses. By 1934 the last business, a gas station, closed, and the building was moved to nearby Lees. Drumright was named on the 1984 county highway map, but no buildings were shown at the site. It was still listed as a community in 1990.

Continue Reading

Julia Cauble Smith | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Drumright is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Drumright is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.06941600
Longitude: -101.41102300

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No