Duffau

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Erath County

Duffau is on Farm Road 1824 and Duffau Creek, fifteen miles southeast of Stephenville in Erath County. The town was named for Duffo, an Indian buried nearby. By 1860 a post office had been established at the community, and by the mid-1880s Duffau was a flourishing town of about 350 with steam flour mills and cotton gins, four churches, a hotel, a district school, three doctors, and two deputy sheriffs. Railroad routes bypassed Duffau, however, and by the mid-1890s it had begun to decline. In 1940 it was a small trading center with a post office, seven businesses, and 110 residents. By 1980 its population had declined to seventy-six. It was still reported at that level in 2000.

Continue Reading

Susan Shaw | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Duffau is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Duffau is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.08236720
Longitude: -98.02197940

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

76