Dunagan (Dunagin) was seven miles east of what is now Lufkin and five miles northwest of what became Huntington near the center of Angelina County. It was named for Isaac Dunagan and was settled in the early 1840s before Angelina County was established. The county's first commissioners' court met at Isaac Dunagan's home in 1846. The Dunagan community, along with Moses Bluff, was up for consideration to be the county seat after the Texas legislature established Angelina County in April 1846. An election resulted in twenty-six votes for Moses Bluff and two for Dunagan. A second election, held to appease dissatisfied citizens, resulted in thirty-nine votes for Moses Bluff (designated as River Place for its location on the Angelina River) and again, only two for Dunagan (called Center for election purposes). The Dunagan community faded, and no further mention was made of it in local histories. In the mid-1980s a railroad siding in the vicinity was known as Dunagan.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Dunagan is part of or belongs to the following places:
Dunagan is classified as a Town
Has Post Office