Dunbar was a farming community just west of the Tres Palacios River and a mile north of the Farm Road 521 bridge, six miles northeast of Palacios in southwestern Matagorda County. The community, named for early area landowners, in 1909 received a post office that was probably in postmaster Cora Ifland's store. For a time Dunbar had a two-room schoolhouse, but by at least 1917 the school had moved to nearby Prairie Center, where it served students in eight grades. By 1912 Dunbar had a one-room non-denominational church. Cattle and peaches were among the products Dunbar shipped. Its post office closed in 1913, and around that time Sydney Johnson Hill bought most of the land in the area and eventually moved into the store. Dunbar was not named on the 1936 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Rachel Jenkins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Dunbar is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Dunbar is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Oak Bluff)


Latitude: 28.79954800
Longitude: -96.15562500

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated