Duncan

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Milam County

Duncan, near Alligator Creek twelve miles northwest of Rockdale in western Milam County, was named for the Duncan family, who settled in the area in 1879. A school was built there in 1892 on land donated by George and Elizabeth Duncan. The school had two teachers and forty-six students in 1903. High school students from Duncan were sent to Sharp in the late 1920s, and the rest of the schools were consolidated with the Sharp district in the early 1930s. There was no evidence of the Duncan community on the 1941 county highway map.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Duncan is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Duncan is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No