Angelina was located on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway eight miles north of Lufkin in northern Angelina County. The area was settled prior to the Civil War. A post office opened there in 1855 under the name Angelina and operated with several interruptions until 1893, when the name was changed to Durst. In 1896 the settlement had several sawmills, a church, and a population of 150. In 1898 the name of the post office was changed back to Angelina, and in 1902 service was suspended. After logging in the region ended around 1900 most of the residents moved away. As late as the 1930s a sawmill and church were still in the vicinity, but by the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Durst is part of or belongs to the following places:
Durst is classified as a Town
- (Angelina 3)
Has Post Office