Edgeworth

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Bell County

Edgeworth is on South Elm Creek and Farm Road 2184, fourteen miles southeast of Temple near the Milam county line in southeastern Bell County. Frank Slovak and his wife established a general store that was later purchased by Otto Gavenda. A post office was established there in 1894, and in 1896 the community included a Baptist church, a drugstore, a doctor, and a blacksmith shop owned and operated by Joe Batla. A cotton gin built by Ben Bigler was later sold to Paul Matyastik. A saloon owned and operated by Henry Jakubik went out of business during prohibition. The post office closed in 1904, and the population had declined to ten by 1933. In 1947 the community had revived somewhat and had two businesses and sixty inhabitants, but it had lost its business establishments and had declined to twenty inhabitants by 1964. In 2000 the population was still estimated at twenty, and by 2015 became a "ghost town" with a dwindling population of fifteen.

Continue Reading

Mark Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Edgeworth is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Edgeworth is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.95157410
Longitude: -97.14054890

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

15