Egan is at the intersection of Farm roads 2280 and 917, eight miles northeast of Cleburne in north central Johnson County. The area was settled by M. J., J. P., and W. E. Miller during the Civil War. A townsite was surveyed in 1883, when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad extended its tracks through the area. A surveyor gave Egan its name. A post office began service there in 1883, and within two years the settlement had a population of fifty, a store, a school, and two churches. A winery operated in Egan during the early twentieth century, but was closed down during prohibition. The community had a population of 115 by the mid-1920s. Egan's post office closed sometime after 1930, and the population fell to fifty by the late 1940s. This estimate was reported consistently through the mid-1960s. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was twenty-one.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Egan is part of or belongs to the following places:
Egan is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Egan by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."