El Campo is on U.S. Highway 59 and State Highway 71, thirteen miles southwest of Wharton in south central Wharton County. The Lower Colorado River Authority provides water, and several creeks flow near the city limits. In 1882 a railroad camp called Prairie Switch was situated where El Campo now stands and served as a switching point on New York, Texas and Mexican Railway. Cowboys called the camp "Pearl of the Prairies." Located in the midst of cattle country, the camp was used by Mexican cowboys who changed the name to El Campo in 1890. Ranching was the chief industry, and thousands of cattle were shipped yearly to San Antonio. Four large ranches surrounded the settlement: the Texas Land and Cattle Company (KO Ranch) to the south, the Pierce Ranch to the east, the Herder Ranch to the west, and the Brown Ranch to the north.
For several years El Campo had no permanent structures except the section house and a switch serving the cattle-loading chute. In 1889 a general store was built. In 1890 a post office opened. In 1892 the community had an estimated population of twenty-five, a general store, a mill and gin, and a justice of the peace. Settlers began moving into the area and planted rice, cotton, and corn. Hay soon became one of the chief products, and in the early 1900s the town was the second largest hay-shipping center in the United States. The Farmers Union Warehouse Company was established in El Campo. A one-room schoolhouse was built in 1891, and in 1895 an independent school district was established. By 1901 it enrolled 177 students. Between 1890 and 1898 Swedish Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic, German Lutheran, and Swedish Methodist churches were organized.
El Campo is part of or belongs to the following places:
El Campo is classified as a Town
- (Prairie Switch)
Has Post Office
El Campo by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."
|12,350||2020||United States Census Bureau|
|11,782||2019||Texas Demographic Center|
|11,602||2010||United States Census Bureau|
|10,945||2000||United States Census Bureau|
|10,511||1990||United States Census Bureau|
|10,462||1980||United States Census Bureau|
|9,332||1970||United States Census Bureau|
|7,700||1960||United States Census Bureau|
|6,237||1950||United States Census Bureau|
|3,906||1940||United States Census Bureau|
|2,034||1930||United States Census Bureau|
|1,766||1920||United States Census Bureau|
|17,788||1910||United States Census Bureau|