Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Karnes County

Elm, also called Seale's Chapel, in the extreme northeastern corner of Karnes County, was named for nearby Elm Creek. It had a post office from 1898 to 1911. Neal Bowen, father-in-law of John Wesley Hardin, ran a small grocery there, and the community also eventually had a cotton gin. The place declined after the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway was extended from Stockdale to Cuero in 1905, and Nixon was established in 1906. Highway maps in the early 1980s named Elm and showed a cemetery at the site.

Continue Reading

Robert H. Thonhoff | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Elm is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Elm is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Seale's Chapel)


Latitude: 29.21128900
Longitude: -97.72964000

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated