Elm Grove

Elm Grove is a mile southeast of the intersection of Farm roads 86 and 158 and four miles northeast of McMahan in eastern Caldwell County. A post office operated there from 1874 until 1890, and in 1875 the settlement became the focus of a county school district. By the mid-1880s the community had steam saw and grist mills, three cotton gins, a church, and 150 residents. At that time area farmers shipped cotton and produce. By the 1920s most of the townsite was in ruins. The community's district school closed in the 1940s, and local students were sent to the McMahan, Dale, and Lockhart schools. Elm Grove's school building was made into a community center in 1953; it was used for community singing through the mid-1960s and was renovated in the 1980s. Improved roads and utilities in the area attracted new residents, many of whom commuted to work in nearby Lockhart or Luling. Elm Grove was marked on county highway maps in 2000, but no population estimates were available.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Elm Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Elm Grove is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Taylorsville)


Latitude: 29.89077890
Longitude: -97.48749530

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated