Elton is on State Highway 70 some five miles north of Dickens in north central Dickens County. Among its early settlers was L. W. Stark, who came to the area in 1895. Large ranches dominated much of the surrounding land. A post office was granted to the community in 1925, with Lula Yantis as postmistress; the office was named for Elton Purcell, a local schoolteacher. In 1948 the community reported a store, a post office, and a population of fifty. Its post office lasted until 1954, when service was moved to Afton. The 1983 county highway map still indicated Elton, though it showed no businesses at the site. In 2000 the population was one.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Elton is part of or belongs to the following places:
Elton is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Elton by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."