Elwood

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Van Zandt County

Elwood is near Farm Road 47 thirteen miles northwest of Canton in northwestern Van Zandt County. Its Baptist church was started as early as 1898. The name Elwood was formed by a combination of the nearby Ellis Chapel and Woodall schools in 1917, when the local church moved and became known as the Elwood church. In 1904 the Ellis Chapel school enrollment had reached fifty and the Woodall school, forty-eight. In 1936 the Elwood community had the school, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings. Its school had been consolidated with the Edgewood Independent School District by the early 1950s. In 1981 scattered dwellings remained near the Woodall cemetery.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Elwood is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Elwood is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Ellis Chapel)
  • (Woodall)

Location

Latitude: 32.73846070
Longitude: -95.94968920

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No