English, eleven miles northeast of Clarksville in northeastern Red River County, was named for Oliver English, who in 1840 bought land that included what is now the English townsite, and Simeon English, his uncle, who brought three families and thirty slaves to establish plantations in the area in 1852. By 1860 the 2,000-acre English plantation, hedged by bois d'arc, had its own cotton gin and hauled the cotton to Jefferson for shipment. The gin burned in 1862. A post office, established with Thomas W. Anderson, Jr., as postmaster, operated at the community from 1890 to 1906, when it was replaced by rural delivery from Annona. English reported a population of 100 in 1910 and about ninety-two from 1920 through 2000. The Oliver English home has been restored.

Continue Reading

Claudia Hazlewood | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

English is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

English is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Almond Grove)


Latitude: 33.62761000
Longitude: -94.85938270

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009