English

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Brazoria County

English, a farming community north of the Ramsey prison farm and twelve miles northwest of Angleton in northwestern Brazoria County, may have been named for the family of area resident "Buck" English. The town began as a station on the Sugar Land Railway 1½ miles north of what is now Farm Road 1462 on Oyster Creek. English had a cotton gin and a general store by 1917. A post office operated there from 1921 until 1924, when mail was transferred to Sandy Point. In 1980 area maps showed several abandoned buildings and scattered dwellings at the townsite.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

English is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

English is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.37412900
Longitude: -95.52772130

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No