Cuthand, ten miles south of Clarksville in southern Red River County, was called Enterprise when planters began settlement there about 1850. In the late 1860s E. A. Mauldin established a gristmill and cotton gin at the site, and Samuel T. Arnold opened a general store. A post office was granted to the community in 1867, and its postmaster, Cornelius Crenshaw, named it for Cuthand Creek. The community had a population of 130, two gins, a church, and a school by 1880. Cuthand's population reached 150 in 1890 but declined to sixty by 1896. It was reported as ninety-one in 1914 and as ninety-six from 1920 through 1956. The Cuthand post office was closed in the 1950s, and in 1986 Cuthand reported a population of thirty-two and no businesses. In 1990 and 2000 its population was 116.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Enterprise is part of or belongs to the following places:
Enterprise is classified as a Town
Has Post Office