Evergreen

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Panola County

DeBerry is at the junction of U.S. Highway 79 and Farm roads 31 and 1794, fourteen miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County. A community, known as Evergreen, formed there before the Civil War, after which the name of the town was changed to DeBerry, for Alfred Wesley De Berry, a prominent local citizen and legislator. A post office opened in 1874, and by 1885 the community had a steam gristmill, two churches, three schools, eight general stores, and an estimated population of 150. Its population reached 300 by the early 1890s but dropped to fifty by 1914. In the 1920s oil was discovered in the area, and DeBerry enjoyed a brief boom. By 1929 its population reached 250. In the mid-1930s the community had a church, two schools, a post office, and eight rated businesses; in 1936 the reported population was 233. After World War II the DeBerry schools were consolidated with those of Carthage. In 1990 DeBerry was a prosperous rural community with 191 inhabitants and eight businesses. In 2000 the population remained the same while the number of businesses grew to thirty.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Evergreen is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Evergreen is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (DeBerry)

Location

Latitude: 32.30321390
Longitude: -94.15963500

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No