Exray

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Erath County

Exray (X-Ray) is off State Highway 108 fourteen miles northwest of Stephenville in northern Erath County. The area was settled before the Civil War and named for its location at a crossroads. A settlement developed there about 1890, when coal mining was active at Thurber. In 1897 a post office was established at the community with George M. Shelby as postmaster. Postal service was discontinued in 1906, and the mail was sent to Stephenville. Exray was established primarily as a ranching community, but a cotton gin was built there and probably operated in the early 1900s. The Exray (or X-Ray) natural gas field was discovered in 1920 and kept the community active for a time. But by 1933 Exray had only a single business and a population of twenty-four. In the late 1980s the community had a church and cemetery and a few widely scattered dwellings.

Continue Reading

Jeanne F. Lively | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Adopted by: Angela Little Bozarth
Adoption Message: In Loving Memory of Fred & Juanita Little
Until: November 17th, 2024

Belongs to

Exray is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Exray is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [X-ray]

Location

Latitude: 32.39930110
Longitude: -98.33226890

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No