Fair Park

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Dallas County

Fair Park, the site of the State Fair of Texas, is located in east Dallas near the downtown business district. It is owned by the city of Dallas and is jointly operated by the Dallas Park and Recreation Department and the State Fair of Texas Association. In 1986 the 277-acre site was home to the State Fair, the Cotton Bowl, and five museums. Fair Park houses one of the greatest concentrations of early twentieth-century Art Deco exposition buildings in the United States.

The original eighty-acre site was purchased by Capt. William H. Gaston from the Thomas Lagow league and the John Grigsby league for $16,000 in 1886 and deeded to the newly chartered Dallas State Fair and Exposition Association. In return Gaston received 140 shares of stock, which he later donated to the fair organization. The Dallas Exposition opened its first fair on October 26, 1886.

Continue Reading

Sarah Hunter | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Fair Park is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Fair Park is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No